RegisterLogin with Google+ Login with Facebook

Can we meditate too much?
Is it possible to over meditate? Can we meditate too much?

I've come across this question, and I thought to bring it to the group.

Meditation is a state just as waking or sleeping is a state.
Can we sleep too much? Yes. 
Can we stay awake too long? Yes.
Can we meditate too much?
"You mess with me, I lighten you"
Awesome Admin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • krya
I have found that my the quality of my sleep deteriorated after I have had long meditation sessions, even though I did properly close of afterwards. From a physical perspective and depending on the goal of your meditation session, I believe there can be too much meditation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LizardKing's post:
  • Admin
It depends on where you want to stay(which realm/state)  and what you want to do because meditation does affect our physical state and duties. There are people who meditate from half an hour to several days or even months. The meditation becomes 'over' for those who have to fulfill the physical world responsibilities and have a role to play in this realm. The meditation leads to constant peace, a bliss that no one would like to leave and come to this chaotic world. I used to meditate for two hours or more and never wanted to come out of it, just wanted to go on and on. It never used disturb me till  I was in that peaceful state. But , when I used to come out of it , I used to find my surrounding extremely chaotic and this used to disturb me as I did not want to talk to anyone, just witness or observe everything peacefully. 

Since I work with children, I have to be talking and stay energetic all the time which is completely opposite to what I actually look for...which is staying silent all the time and enjoying the peace. (Fortunately, I am on my  break these days, and just loving it). 
So for someone like me the meditation over an hour becomes "over" meditation, but for someone like Yogis, mystics, or those who have no worldly duties , the meditation can never become over because they do not have to stay in any world made constraints or frames. They go on exploring the patterns of energy within and out, unfolding the truth and experiencing the bliss.  I wish I could be one Sleepy
[-] The following 2 users Like anushri's post:
  • kashish, Admin
At what point does to much of a good thing turns harmful for an individual.  Is what the question brings up.

It would probably depend a bit on the individual and why and how they are meditating. 

If it done as a way of escape to not face outward life and it's struggles and karmic responsibilities then possibly for that person it can become a psychological and spiritual trap.

Meditation can be a wonderful useful beneficial tool for integration and spiritual growth.

Perhaps some people should meditate on why they are meditating...lol

peace
aceofcups
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aceofcups's post:
  • Admin
(01-15-2018, 06:32 PM)Aceofcups Wrote: At what point does to much of a good thing turns harmful for an individual.  Is what the question brings up.

It would probably depend a bit on the individual and why and how they are meditating. 

If it done as a way of escape to not face outward life and it's struggles and karmic responsibilities then possibly for that person it can become a psychological and spiritual trap.

Meditation can be a wonderful useful beneficial tool for integration and spiritual growth.

Perhaps some people should meditate on why they are meditating...lol

peace
aceofcups

I thought with meditation, a person gains deeper insight, a sense of gratitude, respect and empathy. He starts looking at the world with higher understanding and stops fitting everyone into the Same  frame , stops viewing everyone/everything through the same pair of  spects or mocking at someone's efforts .  Some people face a lot of obstacles or constant opposition on their way to truth and some have an easy go. So, I think we must not compare each other's path. 

Well I can understand that not everyone realises the difference between perceiving the truth and perception of truth.  Everyone's journey is different and sometimes many so called spiritual practitioners/ masters fail to understand this. Anyways,I am a mere seeker, still needs  to learn a lot so I could be wrong  Smile I'd better utilise my energy in learning.
_/\_
[-] The following 2 users Like anushri's post:
  • kashish, Admin
I think it depends on your intention, if your intention is to know everything then that might be much otherwise no such thing as too much stress free living.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes big mak rael's post:
  • Admin
When one forgets to do every day chores, see friends, and help others, perhaps less mediation is better.
[-] The following 2 users Like Skytiger's post:
  • anushri, Admin
(01-16-2018, 10:14 PM)Skytiger Wrote: When one forgets to do every day chores, see friends, and help others, perhaps less mediation is better.

BIGsmile

Yes.... That's a good point
Awesome Admin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • big mak rael
Thanks for all the answers so far.
When one meditates, the brain is certainly going into a calm deep state. I wondering if staying longer in this state can cause problems. 

What is the longest time one can meditate? Can one decide to remain in a meditation state forever?
Awesome Admin
[-]
  •
(01-17-2018, 01:47 AM)admin Wrote: Thanks for all the answers so far.
When one meditates, the brain is certainly going into a calm deep state. I wondering if staying longer in this state can cause problems. 

What is the longest time one can meditate? Can one decide to remain in a meditation state forever?
You probably could with enough practice, but don't forget that life taught you meditation and shapes and colors and smells so do you want to leave behind the one thing that taught you everything you know thus far. Life is meant to be lived not escaped from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[-] The following 2 users Like big mak rael's post:
  • Admin, noman