RegisterLogin with Google+ Login with Facebook

Difference betweenSoul and Spirit
The difference between Soul and Spirit?
There is no simple answer to this question because the words, ‘soul’ and ‘spirit are used in different ways in the different biblical contexts in which they are found.
It is also difficult because different religions, beliefs and cultures have different views regarding spirituality and humanity. It does seem however that all cultures believe in and use the term ‘Spirit’, not so with the term ‘Soul’.
Soul seems to be a less specific term than spirit. When a ship is lost at sea for example they don’t talk about lives lost, but souls.
The use of terms soul and spirit seems most common in the Hebrew and New Testament Bibles.
The Hebrew term for soul is nephesh and it is found more than 780 times in the Old Testament. Because in Hebrew it has many meanings, it doesn’t always translate as the English word soul.
The King James Version uses 28 different words by which to translate the original term. Nephesh, therefore, signifies different things, depending upon context.
Soul may merely signify an individual person. The prophet Ezekiel declared that the ‘soul’ i.e. the person who sins will surely die or, as Peter wrote centuries later, ‘eight souls’ were saved by water in the days of Noah .
In some contexts, ‘soul simply refers to human, biological life, the animating principle.
‘Soul’ can be connected with the aspect of man that is characterised by the intellectual and emotional. It has been described by some as the eternal component of man that is fashioned in the image of God, and can exist apart from the physical body.
In the Old Testament, ‘spirit’ is ruach, found some 378 times in the Hebrew Old Testament, and literally means ‘breath, or ‘wind,’ etc. The corresponding Greek term is pneuma, occurring 379 times in the New Testament, again though, as with ‘soul,’ the word ‘spirit’ may take on different senses, depending upon its contextual setting.
Ruach can literally denote a person’s breath, or a non-physical Being
The term spirit however can be used in a higher sense.
It also is used to refer to the nature of a non-material being, e.g. God.
God (the Father), as to his essence, is spirit (John. 4:24), i.e., he is not a physical or a material being.
“Spirit” can be used, by way of the figure of speech, John wrote: ‘Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Note that the term ‘spirits is the equivalent of ‘false prophets’ in this text.
 Spirit may refer to the 'inward man’ that is fashioned in God’s image and thus be a synonym of soul.
Spirit sometimes stands for a person’s disposition or attitude, either for bad or good, e.g., the spirit of fear, etc. a meek and submissive spirit or a spirit of gentleness.
One thing is for certain. An honest student cannot study the uses of soul and spirit in the documents of Scripture, any scripture, and then conclude that humans are wholly mortal.
What is interesting here is an overlap into other cultures with ‘breath’
Genesis 2:7 ‘Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.’
Some translations say that the man became a living being but the literal Hebrew word in this verse for soul is chay which means living, or alive.
In Eastern cultures, Buddhism, Hindu, etc there is a great belief in the immortal Spirit, and the vital energy that keeps us alive. It has many names, Chi, Kundalini, etc.
To awaken this energy a breathing exercise is used, and breath is energy Prana, and it is believed that the Kundalini energy, called the sleeping goddess which lies coiled as a serpent at our base chakra is that which God breathed into us at creation.
To sum up, and remember this is MY understanding, you may not agree, but in many ways it is our differences which bring us together.
Soul.
Our soul is our mind, will and emotions. This is the part where we think and feel. It’s where we plan and organise, the part of us that stays focused or gets distracted. Our soul feels pleasure or perceives hurts from others.
Our soul can be energized or discouraged. It’s where we form words to communicate with others. And it’s where our personality comes to life.
It is in our soul that we become anxious or we rest peacefully. It’s where we worry about bad things or meditate on good things.
Spirit.
We are all created as spiritual beings too. Because our spirits are intangible and usually have no direct manifestation in this world, this part gets overlooked and discounted by many people.
It is our spirit that is the divine part of us which is in the image of God, Divine and immortal. The body will die and return to the earth from where it came, the spirit will go back to a union with the Creator Spirit, God, or in time re-incarnate. The soul will eventually fade, or perhaps be absorbed into the Acashic Records. Here I’m not so sure. Maybe someone out there can continue this writing, all of this is opinion based on some research due to my questioning soul, which is never still!

[-] The following 1 user Likes johngefnir's post:
  • krya
Wondering about soul years ago, I got this....

What is life but a reflection of a soul’s dream?

Perhaps Spirit is our true reality, and we are forever loved by Creator, a part of Creator, all loved equally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Skytiger's post:
  • johngefnir
As everything that was ever created/made started in someones imagination, it follows that we began in the imagination of God. Perhaps we only exist in the imagination of God and our life is a reflection of Gods dream through our soul. What we experience God feels. we too are a trinity. Soul, Spirit, Body. When the body dies and goes back to the elements from which it was created, maybe the soul and spirit merge to form a third, spiritual, body. Just a thought. 
Perhaps I do think too much!
[-] The following 2 users Like johngefnir's post:
  • Acoren Chablis, Skytiger
I believe for most intents and purposes that the word or meaning of the words "soul", and "spirit" are interchangeable. The focus on a dividing line should be the difference in the soul or spirit of man, and the Spirit of life(GOD). There is also obviously a division to be made between the tempest and the Spirit of GOD. To me there is an observable duality between the advisary and the HELPER, though even satan fulfills the will of GOD.

peace

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
[-]
  •
Now Pops I believe we are moving to a new heading with the phrase 'Will of God'. I will post a new thread later.
[-]
  •
(07-04-2018, 12:07 PM)johngefnir Wrote: Now Pops I believe we are moving to a new heading with the phrase 'Will of God'. I will post a new thread later.
Cool. Just get my attention. I would be pleased to discuss.

peace

[-]
  •
 @ pops the builder
"though even satan fulfills the will of GOD."

Controversial to say the least. pops. Many of my acquaintance would strongly disagree.
I'm looking forward to johngefnir's new thread on "Will of God".
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-]
  •
(07-04-2018, 09:00 PM)MOONBEARSPEAKS Wrote:  @ pops the builder
"though even satan fulfills the will of GOD."

Controversial to say the least. pops. Many of my acquaintance would strongly disagree.
I'm looking forward to johngefnir's new thread on "Will of God".
You would have to be very familiar with the book of Job, and ones own demons to understand my position. I look forward to it too. Perhaps I can be given the opportunity to explain away any confusion I have caused.

peace

[-]
  •