RegisterLogin with Google+

Hello
Big difference between Celts and Isis. Celts treated women more like equals.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a Celt Queen who led her people against the Romans?
Been a long time since I studied history, but the above came to mind about the Queen.
[-]
  •
Hi Skytiger,

Google Boadicea
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-]
  •
Thanks. I was right
[-]
  •
Not sure how Isis came into this thread, except that she belongs to another 'Mystery School', that of Egypt.
Isis was a great Goddess, and she married her brother Osiris, which angered her other brother Set, God of death, so Set killed Osiris, and cut him into pieces which he threw into the River Nile. Isis and her hand maidens collected all his various pieces and reassembled him. they never found his penis so they fashioned a new one out of gold, on the third day he 'rose again into life'. (Sound familiar) and later fathered the sun god Horus, whose birthday is December 25th. He shares this birthday with the Celtic sun god Lugh, Mithras, and of course Jesus.
There is a slight connection between Lugh and Horus,both being Sun Gods. At the winter solstice, when the sun is at its lowest in the sky, both Lugh and Horus are said to die and are taken to the underworld, traditionally the realm of the dead, where they are held for three days, and on the third day, December 25th, they are said to rise again from the dead, and they ride their fiery chariots ever higher and higher in the sky till they reach their peak at the summer solstice.

You are right when you mention the equal status afforded to women in the Celtic political culture. Women went to war and fought alongside the men, they could be tribal chiefs and rulers.
Boudica was the queen of the Celtic tribe called the Icenes, her husband Prasuticas, the king, made a pact with the Emperor Nero, but unfortunately, and somewhat unsurprisingly on the death of Prasuticas the Roman governor of Britain, Suetonius Paulinus reneged on the deal, when Boudica spoke out, she was publicly flogged and her two daughters raped by the Roman Soldiers. She united many of the other Celtic tribes of Southern and central Britain and waged war on the Romans. Boudica and her allies were very successful at first, slaughtering thousands of Roman Soldiers and laying wast to many important Roman towns, including London, but in AD61 Suetonius attacked with the 14th Legion and 10,000 battle hardened regular soldiers. According to the Roman historian Tacitus, the Britons were slaughtered to the last, 80,000 were reported to have been killed. Boudica poisoned herself rather than be taken captive. The Romans then went on to destroy our heritage, political system, and culture. They annihilated the Druids, burned the Hazel Groves and followed a 'scorched earth policy' to starve the remaining Celts into submission, but they still had to build Offas Dyke, and Hadrians wall to keep themselves safe from us Celts and the Picts of Scotland.
[-]
  •
Actually I was referring to the modern day group that go by the name Isis, at least that's what the news stations here in the USA call them.
I always thought calling themselves Isis was wrong, as Isis is indeed an Egyptian Goddess. Sorry about the mix up.
There was an episode on TV a few years ago, about Boudica, the History channel I think, showing the Romans fighting the Celts led by Boudica. I wonder what the world would be like today, if the Celts had won?
[-]
  •
Everyone would be speaking Welsh! Fydd pawb yn siarad Cymraig!
[-]
  •
I heard somewhere, johngefnir, that it is the victors who write the history books but it is good to hear a Celt upholding your cause.
Personally, I have lived in Wales for over forty years, and 'diolch yn fawr' - thank you - is about as far as I have got. I speak three European languages reasonably well, with a smattering of two others, but now it is too late to learn Cymraig tricks.
Shame about the Holy Roman Empire wasn't it.

Incidentally, is Welsh a 'minority language in Wales, although it is, of course, required to be taught in the schools?
[-]
  •
The holy Roman Empire! Where do I start? and is it even holy? I do not wish to offend any Roman Catholics among our members, but if we look at Catholicism, or even Christianity for that matter, and look to its so called founder Jesus Christ for clues as to how it has become a religion. I say 'so called' founder, because no where will you see, in any version of the Bible Jesus saying to his disciples, 'I want you to start a new religion when I'm gone, and call it Christianity'. No, Jesus said, 'I haven't come to change the law, I've come to prove it!' Jesus was a Jew, he kept the Jewish religious laws, he disagreed with the hypocrisy therein, as we all do, but He was a Jew, he lived as a Jew, He worshiped as Jew, and he kept the Jewish saboth....SATURDAY! and he never claimed to be the Son of God, his words were, if we believe what is written, who do you say I am? and when you see me you see the Father, who is in heaven, well, as we are all made in the likeness of God, we are all sons of God.
By 96AD Christianity, in its various forms had grown, so much so that Rome accepted it as a religion, and it was a peaceful religion. Rome was never slow in seizing opportunities, they had for years subjugated tribes and peoples, then put them to work in the Roman army, and now these people were revolting, there was trouble all through the empire, and in 312AD, Constantine, after his victory at the battle of Milvan Bridge made Christianity the religion of the empire, and later in 325AD, at Nicea, he met with a council of bishops etc. to re-write the New Testament to suit his needs, and who canged the Saboth from Saturday to Sunday.........he did. Why? Because Sunday was the day named after the Sun God, Sol Invictus, and it was the day that the whole empire worshiped their god, Sol Invictus! Now Constantine could unite the empire under a god, one who would reward people with everlasting life in a heavenly realm if they lived peacefully as Jesus directed, and if they didn't listen to the Roman religious hierarchy, well everlasting life wasn't going to be very pleasant, stoking the fires of hell for eternity! So quite by accident Constantine came upon the answer to the Roman Empires immortality, the Roman Empire has now existed for over 2,500 years, thanks to religion! One can fight a tyrant, an army, and even an empire, but not a god who controls not just this life, but the next life also. The Holy Roman Empire has much to answer for. During the crusades the Pope said it was the duty of every good Christian to kill a Muslim, when the Roman Church disagreed with the Cathars version of Christiany the Pope sent soldiers and mercenaries to annihilate them, promising all the soldiers that whatever atrocities they committed in this 'holy cause' they would be forgiven and absolved of all sin, both past and future' So really the Holy Roman Empire is just a continuation of the military empire, so once again religion can be found under the heading of crowd control. There have been wars throughout history, and there will be future wars, but none are so cruel and hard as holy wars, now there's a contradiction in terms, holy and war in the same sentence, and the really stupid thing about a holy war is that both sides pray for victory, and to whom do they pray? THE SAME GOD!!!!
[-]
  •
God or Creator...name I use....has nothing to do with religion IMHO. Religions were made by man to control others with fear. Creator loves all unconditionally regardless of belief / religion.
[-]
  •
Yes. Skytiger, unfortunately we have to use verbal language to communicate, perhaps even different languages. After all, when I said god, you might think I meant God, and so confusion piles upon confusion and, heigh-ho, let's have another argument... disagreement...stand-off...war.

Oh, for Peace, Love, Harmony and what about, Forbearance and Understanding.
[-]
  •