RegisterLogin with Google+ Login with Facebook

How do you make meditation an habit?
How do you make meditation an habit?

If you've managed to make meditation an daily thing, please share how you've come to it.
because frankly, some of us are still struggling Smile.

Do you do the same type of meditation everyday?
Do you get bored at some point? How is going for you.

Thanks in advance for the answers.
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • krya, Aceofcups
Hi admin, Good question.

I know many people who say meditation can be difficult when they first start.  It is learning  to create a useful discipline in one's beingOne should start without the idea or thought that they will "get" something if they meditate.  Meditation should only have a "goal-less goal".  Meditation is learning how to quiet, to be in the Present Moment --  which will naturally align and integrate different levels of one's consciousness.

Meditation is learning how to create a positive habit in one's life.   And becomes even more positive if one learns to have it as a daily practice.   Some people like to start - just doing it a few times a week and work themselves up.   Once one has made it a habit I find one's physical body, ones emotions and one's mind automatically gets into a "meditation mode" within more and more just when you start the meditation.  The amount of time one meditates could also effect the meditation... start with a short period of time ( 5-10 minutes) and work your way up to 15 minutes or half an hour daily.  Find out what works for oneself.

Meditation does not seem the same to a practitioner after every day's practice.  Some days meditation seems to us stronger or more connected then other days.  Those are days one should just kept the habit going because some of the benefits of meditation happen on our inner levels - and not always perceived by our personality level of our being.

There are many many different types of meditation..( meditation on one breathe, quiet meditation, meditation with a mantra, prayer or using music to meditate by, walking meditations, contemplative meditation on a spiritual ideal or even on a problem one has, visualization meditation, one-pointed focus meditation, moving meditation like Tai Chi etc etc).... one must find one that works for oneself.  Trying one for a few weeks or a month and see how you feel with it.  Constantly changing meditation techniques doesn't allow one to get deep enough in any one technique.

Personally I have been a practicing meditator for the last 55 years.  Over the years I have practiced many different types of meditations - both individually and meditating with groups.  Some cycles I have changed the type of meditation I've done as my main practice.  But it felt right inwardly to do so.  

peace
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-] The following 3 users Like Aceofcups's post:
  • samhennessey30, krya, Admin
I am Anglo-Irish, born in England 16.07.1930. Brought up as Catholic but left that behind  over half a century ago.
One of my older brothers introduced me to controlled breathing, Hatha Yoga and meditation when I was about 14 years old. Where he had learned about it I have no idea other than that he served overseas in the British Army during World War II.

I endorse what Aceofcups says above. 
The form of meditation develops over time. 
Nowadays, maybe when I sit at my computer or when I mentally address a problem, I frequently 'flip' into an altered state of consciousness. By that I imply that it becomes habitual with practice.
If I am typing, I might type one word, with no conscious idea of where the sentence is going.  
If I am addressing a group, I just let the words come from... ... and they invariably do. 

Cliche? Go with the flow.

The one question to which one should seek the answer is - Am I satisfied that my motivation and intent is 'PURE' and for a right purpose, that is to say, NOT self-serving ?

I know I need not mention this to you, Admin, but for others seeking info re meditation, I urge you to browse the site's five years or so of threads. There is a whole lot of stuff waiting for you there, including an online course by Master Krya.

Let Love and Light Be
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-] The following 2 users Like MOONBEARSPEAKS's post:
  • krya, Admin
Hello! I think I can help with this; I struggled in this area too. And while I don't have any definitive answer for you, I can share my experience and hopefully it'll help to answer your question :-)

The best advice I can give you, is that it'll begin to come much more naturally - whenever you do notice this start to happen, listen to your body and it'll take off from there! :-) It'll become more personal, and as with all parts of your journey, will take on a form unique to you. Of course I couldn't say how that'll look or when mediation will start taking on that form for you, but I can share what it was with my own personal experience that really set things off for me.

I'd always thought there was a certain time and place for things like meditation/ yoga, ect, and I thought there was a certain way you were 'supposed to' do them. I mean, I knew everyone said that it is important to make it 'your own' and certainly agreed, but I guess I just didn't understand what that really meant. For me, when I first became interested in meditation, it was never 'alright, I feel like I'd like to meditate' - it was always more of 'alright, I probably should try and meditate'. It just wasn't natural, it didn't yet come from within myself.

I kept practicing though, and then out of the blue one day I was sitting in my armchair, wasn't feeling all that great. All of a sudden I felt the urge to .. 'Balance' myself is the best way I can describe it. Ground myself is a better description, but anyway - I didn't ignore or doubt this feeling, and simply began to quiet my mind and meditate. As I sat there in that chair meditating without any guidance other than from within myself, not because it was the 'right' time or place but because my body was asking'me to, I achieved the most peaceful state I had yet. I realized that learning 'how' to mediated was just the beginning (still, a necessary first step) which was giving me the basis I needed to really begin listening to my body and mind.

From that point I became much more in-tune with myself, and meditation evolved into something entirely new! And of course is still evolving! You'll get there! Best of luck to you with this and on your journey, I hope this was at least somewhat helpful :-)
NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST ;*
[-] The following 1 user Likes margoxxo's post:
  • Admin
Hello Margoxxo.

Please do not take offence if I am misinterpreting your avatar. It appears to illustrate a young, bespectacled female person smoking.
Rather than putting specific questions, may I ask you to comment on this, particularly as you have posted  very clearly on your own meditation experience?

L & L
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-] The following 2 users Like MOONBEARSPEAKS's post:
  • margoxxo, Admin
(02-08-2018, 09:36 AM)margoxxo Wrote: Hello! I think I can help with this; I struggled in this area too. And while I don't have any definitive answer for you, I can share my experience and hopefully it'll help to answer your question :-)

The best advice I can give you, is that it'll begin to come much more naturally - whenever you do notice this start to happen, listen to your body and it'll take off from there! :-) It'll become more personal, and as with all parts of your ...

Yes it was indeed helpful. Thank you.
Looks like it's more about starting. And do this more frequently. Then the habit kicks in.
"You mess with me, I lighten you"
Awesome Admin
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • margoxxo, krya
(02-06-2018, 01:37 AM)Aceofcups Wrote: Hi admin, Good question.

I know many people who say meditation can be difficult when they first start.  It is learning  to create a useful discipline in ...

Interesting!
But what about this.
You had the habit settled. You used to meditate quite regularly. Then for some life reasons, you loose the habit. 
Any suggestion on how to get that habit back. 
It can feel pretty heavy to get back on track, don't you think Sleepy ?
"You mess with me, I lighten you"
Awesome Admin
[-]
  •
If one had meditated in the past doesn't mean it is totally lost just put to the side as one of life concerns.   But the Thoughts Forms created in one's psyche from the past are still very much alive.

The thing to remember when starting up again it is at the beginning when one is always meet with the  most resistant within.   So just do it for a week and by end of week see if it hasn't reclaimed in your being.  Sometimes starting a different type of meditation technique can be helpful for some.

I always find asking for inner help a useful process to get one where they "want" or even better where they "need" to be.

peace
ace
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-] The following 3 users Like Aceofcups's post:
  • Admin, krya, Uzumaki_Jesse
(02-05-2018, 11:57 PM)admin Wrote: How do you make meditation an habit?

If you've managed to make meditation an daily thing, please share how you've come to it.
because frankly, some of ...

New habits may be hard to build.  While existing ones are set and strong and resistant.
If meditation is not one of your resistant settled habit, then you probably trying hard for it to be a sticky habit Smile

You will wake up in the early morning to do it, or wait for a certain time at night to do as it is often suggested on the internet. But you will notice that many times you will still miss to do your daily meditations, because will be days when you forget, or days when you will postpone or reset that alarm clock to try another time... reasons will be many, and the habit will remain weak enough to die soon after you loose your will. 

Then here's my suggestion. I suggest you use the grafting method for all new spiritual habit you want to introduce to your daily life. Yes, grafting, like it is done in agriculture. Sometimes when one plant is not growing so fine, it can be linked, joined to another plant so they continue their growth together. The strong plant will take the weak one in its growth. For this principle to work, the tissues of plants are to be placed in contact with each other. As the strong plant grows so does the weak. 

That translate as follow. The strong plant is all your strong and already established habits. The weak plant is your new habit. If you want to make meditation an habit, join it with an existing strong habit of yours. Everyday you already do certain activities always. Every morning you wash your face and teeth, you have breakfast... Well, those are your strong plants. Instead of using an alarm clock or trying to remember to do your meditation every morning. Just join it before or just after an existing strong habit which you do in the morning. You may join meditation to your having breakfast for example. So you will always meditate preferably before breakfast. Or you can join it to your morning washing. So you will always meditate just after you've washed.

In no time, meditation will be part of your life. Just like waking up in the morning, brushing your teeth or washing are part of it.

Good luck.
A meditation is a trip to the space between the sun and earth. Where there is No days no nights, no noise, no rain, no wind, no earth force of attraction, but just peace, just light, just silence, just freedom. Would you Join me in this trip?

M. Krya
[-] The following 1 user Likes krya's post:
  • Admin
(02-08-2018, 01:01 PM)MOONBEARSPEAKS Wrote: Hello Margoxxo.

Please do not take offence if I am misinterpreting your avatar. It appears to illustrate a young, bespectacled female person smoking.
Rather than putting specific questions, may I ask you to comment on this, particularly as you have posted  very clearly on your own meditation experience?

L & L

You are very much correct in that observation Smile I'm sorry, I'm still trying to figure this site out so I hope I'm responding to this in the right place!
NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST ;*
[-]
  •