RegisterLogin with Google+ Login with Facebook

What is Magic really?
Hi there,
I've got a question. 

What is  Magic really?

Would magic be something we cannot explain , or which  have no scientific explanations?
Something which bends the laws of natures?
Or do you have any other opinions about it. Please let me know.

Thx.
[-] The following 2 users Like noman's post:
  • krya, Aceofcups
Magic or Theurgy is Occult magic of learning to work with higher laws and forces of nature - some which science doesn't understand yet.  Some Alchemy was considered magic, because there were working with laws beyond the physical in a kind of ritual manner to create physical changes within material matter and also within people.

It is also relative -  Some things done by science now would have been considered magic in the past because they weren't understood my most people at the time.

Some people feel things like meditation, prayer or chanting mantras are magical activities.

peace
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-]
  •
What seems like magic here, is reality in other places.
[-]
  •
I think Magic has become anything we don't understand.
Although for truth seekers, Magic holds a different meaning, like the art of working with the forces of nature.
"You mess with me, I lighten you"
Awesome Admin
[-]
  •
Agree with all answers Smile

Nowadays people give so many definitions to Magic that we almost don't know any more what Magic is trully :Smile
For the public, almost anything to do with spirits is Magic :Smile . And this word somehow always sounds bad to the public. You even become a suspect of people's dead around you when they know you are into magic :Smile  

Initially in the ancient temples, Magic was the knowledge and the use of the natural forces. There were no modern schools like today, to study biology, physics etc. There were only initiation schools where the student was called the disciple and where the main subjects of studies where the microcosm and the macrocosms. People used to study the cause of events, and eventually how to cause physical events, all those studies where called Magic. In today's word, Magic science has turned into the study of consequences Smile . 

In fact, Magic form part of our daily life, because magic is life. Without knowing it, we use natural forces to achieve or to cause certain events. Because we do not always know the outcome of some of our gestures and words, we do magic randomly. Just like that, we would be the cause of other people's happiness or miseries . But we don't know how we did it. The mage is the one knows the causes, and knows which herb, which flower, which stone, which geometric shape, which number, which  actions, words, gestures, thoughts or feelings cause such an such consequence at such and such time.

For example, all initiates know that nature automatically fills any empty container. An initiates knows that if the first person he meets when he goes out of his home carries an empty container, he will return home, pray or spend some time connecting to the spiritual world before going out again. Because he will either have an accident or even death is possible. The first person you greet on your way out should never carry an empty container ( empty, bag, bottle, basket...). And one should not give an empty container as a gift to someone else. You may call it curse, but it's just based on the science of cause and effect. Some selfish people knew this science and they will voluntarily ruin other people's life. And that is called "Black Magic", black as in evil. Even if black is not evil . Who comes up with these namings anyway Smile 

Our ancestors were fully aware of the laws of life, they integrated some basic code of conduct in their way of living. Which have become part of certain traditions up till today. You can still find in some tradition, African tribes where people do not give empty containers, and no one comes visit you empty bag or basket. 

Nature is alive and listens to our actions, it responds. Nature is made of billions and billions of subconscious forces which responds to our actions and gestures. We communicate with those forces through certain symbols, words or gestures. And that is Magic. Magic is neutral. The forces apply whether we know what we are doing or not. If you place a pentagram upside down at the door of your house, you will attract evil forces to your house, and it doesn't matter whether you didn't know.

Some smells awake specific types of forces in nature, some thoughts awakes some specific types of emotions and desires, some words awakes certain spirits of nature. But I guess to avoid having more evil mage than we already have, it is better that the world knows magic at due time :Smile .
A meditation is a trip to the space between the sun and earth. Where there is No days no nights, no noise, no rain, no wind, no earth force of attraction, but just peace, just light, just silence, just freedom. Would you Join me in this trip?

M. Krya
[-] The following 1 user Likes krya's post:
  • Skytiger
Lets not confuse Magic with Magik. Magic is the art of illusion, 'the quickness of the hand deceives the eye!'
Magik, is defined by Alistair Crowley as 'making changes in consciousness in accordance with will'. So you can never make something happen that is incapable happening on its own. You can't change a tadpole into a butterfly, but you might be able to accelerate its change to a frog. I have been involved with the occult for over 40 years. there is no such thing as black magik or white magik, only magik. Just as electricity can power a million homes, it can also kill. It all depends on the intent of the user. We all try to do magik, for example change the weather so our picnic will be good, make the idiot in the car in front turn off, make the traffic lights change in our favour as we approach. Sometimes it works, that is just intent and thought. Some will say 'coincidence' Is it? There is no such thing as coincidence! Abracadabra..........As I will it so shall it be!
[-]
  •
magic is the notion, of believe and witness of true miracles @hand, No one can conclude that this reality does not exist in this reality in which we live in up until it is avoid of it in itself, then comes believe, for the hope to witness such thing comes in many form, sometimes elaborate, while others in ones private t i m e. We all seek for it and to many, it is witnessed without ever recognizing its fill in our belly, in our arms, in our bones, in our struggles, in our soul, in our whole, b e i n g s.
a timegab betw e e n the reality in which we live in, makes possib le this time and sp a ce of miracles, which is formally known to you as magic, but not magik the conscious passive active kind, or the maGic slight of hand magic trick, but the reality of the soul filled, i witnessed GOds work at hand kInd of Magic. Miracles happen all day, Be witness of it..
R U WORThy of MY WORdSZ ? . . . . 
[-]
  •
I’m afraid there are many misconceptions when it comes to magick.
What is magick really?  How, what, where and when should it be used?  These are the questions I will try to answer here.  

Magick is finding your connection to the Earth and all that is natural, alive and moving in the universe! It binds all that exists together.
Magick is living in balance with the flow of life, and knowing that you are a vital force within that flow.
Magick is everywhere! In the trees, rain, stars, and in the sea. It is the spark that quickens a seed to rise up from the soil.
Magick is in laughter, joy, wonder and truth the of the world around us! It is the subtle enchantment that reminds us not to waste a single moment of this gift that we call life!
Magick is not greed, or power, or pretence. It is real. It exists. And it works.
Magick is the mystery that lies in the secret soul of the world. It is the essence of creation. What we imagine, we have the power to create!
With it you can create your dreams, heal your world, love your life and find the peace that lives in every human heart.

Since time immemorial magic has been used in witchcraft, and many myths and evil associations have been attributed to its use.  Here I’ll concentrate on real magic and how it is perceived by witches of today. 
Magick is a force utilising power, wisdom and knowledge. 
It is both more and less powerful than the ignorant can understand. 
Magick can only be used to change the changeable, for instance it can be used to cure a sickness but not to replace a lost limb. 
Magick is not a power to be used in place of our other powers, meaning those of our physical, mental or emotional abilities.  Nor is it a crutch for the weak or an ego-boost for the inadequate. 
Magick is an art and skill in itself.  It needs to be learned, then the student must train and develop. This takes time and patience. 
If we believe that everything, both organic and inorganic originate from the same source, then the ability for using magick is retained within us all. 
Magick is a forgotten art passed down through aeons of incarnations yet it still lives within us all. 
Therefore magick is a skill that needs to be re-learned if it's to be used well, effectively and wisely.      
In modern days magick is used not only in ritual ceremonies, but also on a daily bases during spiritual communication with the Goddess and God. 
It is used daily for healing purposes and perhaps more frequently for personal purposes like reducing negativity, protection and improving the self. 
It can be used for many other purposes as determined by the individual, but always remember the three fold law, and the laws of cause and effect.
Magick is not good or bad, it isn't black or white, it's just magick. The good or bad lies with the intent of the adept.

Magick in essence is the use and control of natural energies to produce and effect a needed change. 
There are three basic sources of natural energy or power used:  Personal Power, Earth Power and Divine Power.  
Personal Power is the life force that sustains us and protects our earthly existence.  It's the power that resides within our own bodies; some may call it willpower or intent, it is the Chi.  In magick we learn to harness and arouse this personal power, infuse it with a particular purpose, release it  into the universe and direct it towards it's goal.
Earth Power is the power that resides within our planet and its natural products.  Such things as: Stones, Trees, Wind, Fire, Water, Crystals, Oils and Scents.  All these things and more possess unique powers and give out specific energies that can be harnessed and used during ritual and magick.  
Hold a stone in the palm of your hand, concentrate on your hand and visualise the stone.  Feel it's energy, sometimes this manifests as a tingling sensation or heat. 
A crystal can be charged and then held against the forehead to clear migraine or headaches. Herbs and oils can be charged then rubbed onto the body to effect internal changes.  These are just a few examples of earth power and it's uses.
Divine Power is spiritual power, that which is charged and channelled by the Goddess and the God, like earth energy it is not ours and we must allow it to pass through us.  Personal power and earth power are all manifestations of divine power as Divine power is the force of life, the source of everything, the power of the universe and that which created everything.  
To use divine power the Goddess and God need to be invoked to bless the magick being prepared, this is normally done inside a properly constructed sacred space or circle.

Magick is not just about the use of power; one cannot just stand up, call out to the Goddess and God and demand that magick be done. Much work is involved in preparation for the use of magick.  Once a need for the use of magick has been identified, careful consideration needs to be given to other associations if a successful outcome is to be achieved.  There are other considerations too such as timing, when should the magick be performed.  Tools, which tools are best employed for the task, and what if any repercussions may occur. Remember do no harm to anyone or anything, the universe is a powerful energy and will repay like with like. Do good and reap the rewards. Do ill and pay the price.

[-]
  •