RegisterLogin with Google+ Login with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is better, meditation with music or without?
Hi group,
I want to know what you think is better. What's the right thing to do.
Meditating with music or without music?

Thx
[-] The following 3 users Like noman's post:
  • Acoren Chablis, Isaias, Admin
Hello Noman

Personally i think doing meditation of any kind is useful practice.   And some people's temperament and energy level makes different types more conducive to them in different cycles.

Over the years I have tried with different types of music and without.  I think my deepest meditations has been done without music.. The Silence allows me to hear ( inner sounds) and sense and see more clearly on inner levels.    But I have also had profound meditation's with let's say Japanese Shakuhachi Flute music, some classical music and many other types over the years.  I know many who practice Shamanic practice find the process of listening to drum beats very useful.   That one's doesn't work for me nor does electronic tones some people use.  Also many cultures and religions use chanting or mantras as a tool... sometimes those have been useful.

So overall if I had to choose one over the other I would say Without.

peace
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-] The following 4 users Like Aceofcups's post:
  • noman, Isaias, Admin, anushri
Thanks Ace.
Can we then say: it’s about what makes your meditation easy.
[-]
  •
Hi Noman

lol..hmmm    Easier is not really how I measure meditation... more aligned, more in-turn with the Present Moment.  Some periods of Meditation are filled with Joy, bliss and insight.    In some cycles of my life, some periods of meditation practice can even be challenging at times if their is some karmic issues within myself or outwardly in life and in relationships etc. that I needed to learn or experience.    It helps to bring a calmer, clearer attuned perspective to all of life.

Meditation can be a mirror of the SELF - reflecting one's inner and even outer state of Being.

peace Smile
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aceofcups's post:
  • MOONBEARSPEAKS
Such a personal, individual matter, I think.

Over many decades, and in many countries, I have meditated solo and with groups numbering from two or three up to twenty or thirty and more.

Question is, what is the purpose or intent in the mind or minds of those involved. So many potential spiritual tasks.

Solo, I go for uninterruptable silence.

In group work, I have always encouraged using sound. The larger the group, the more difficult it can be to decide on what sound.
For therapeutic purposes, whether animal, human or planetary, I favour the sound of combined human voices as in "OM-ing" and "TONE-ing." With both these practices, I have encouraged accompaniment by 'live' wind instrumental music. 

In the latter case, my personal preference is the Aboriginal didgeridoo. (Google that for examples.) 
The last time Joyce and I did that was at Uluru (Ayers Rock) in central Australia, with about forty others of various nationalities, under a fabulous starlit sky, back in November 2004.

L & L
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-] The following 2 users Like MOONBEARSPEAKS's post:
  • noman, Aceofcups
Hi again... the other post was about mostly me doing meditation solo by myself.   I have also done lots of group meditation also.   Both as a leader and as a participant.   Group meditation has been mostly been a led meditation with long periods of silence or listening to the sounds of nature.  

I was also involved for 15 years in leading a group of Nurses and Therapeutic Touch practitioners in healing meditations every summer for a month or so during their Healing Workshops.   Those meditations had spoken parts and also periods of silence.   The group would focus on being a group instrument in sending Healing energy to those in need.  Very powerful experience having 50 to a hundred long time Healers meditating together.

I still very involved with silence meditations - now done with others on-line - and also sending distance healing to those in need... both from various facebook healing groups I belong to and also via the Theosophical Order of Service.

peace
[-] The following 2 users Like Aceofcups's post:
  • noman, MOONBEARSPEAKS
Hi meditation with music is easier for mind but also is good too change do it sometimes with or without music.

I have 14 years pratice of meditation sometimes even 5 years per day Smile.
Meditation Zen is very good for begining and more understatnding ourself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Artur.Spl's post:
  • noman
Sometimes I meditate with music, some other times without it. I'm not a very good example because I'm still to make meditation part of my daily routine, but from what I've experienced, I can say meditation with music has so long been great. Kind of makes the whole experience beautiful. Well, I guess it is also depends on the kind of music chosen.
"You mess with me, I lighten you"
Awesome Admin
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Aceofcups, Artur.Spl, noman
But meditation with music is
it is not so much deep for understand mind thats is also importat because without this you will not enter
deeper brain waves but is depend what you like Smile is nice to be in medidation state without external funds and focus on reality around us Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Artur.Spl's post:
  • noman, Admin
They are all great inputs here. Thank you very much.
Now say you had to meditate with music. What sort of music would you suggest. Any calm music? Or are they specific type of music for meditation?
[-]
  •

test