RegisterLogin with Google+ Login with Facebook

Why we plead with God, the Universe, the Creator etc. etc.
Not for the first time, I have found myself observing that people often pray or plead with the powers that be to have something be different than it is. When someone wants a different outcome than the one they have been dealt. Perhaps the most traumatic event this happens in is when a person is given a diagnosis of a life threatening illness and in some cases a terminal illness. Many find themselves pleading that their illness should become healed and they bargain and become angry and all manner of emotion plays out. All of it understandable and all of it normal reactions to unexpected news. But all of it isn't up to a "God" to change. You have more power than that.

I think there is another way to see it.

In my own story that was not what I did. I didn't feel that there was anything to pray to or to plead with in the beginning of my journey when I was told, at 29 years old, that my kidneys weren't functioning properly and that I would ultimately end up on dialysis and on to transplant. At 29 I still felt invincible and life carried on as usual. I didn't even stop smoking until much later and I lived my life like nothing had changed. It's true that it was always in the back of my mind and that there were moments that I was afraid but I carried on.

Fast forward to 25 years later.

Maybe it was all those years of letting my subconscious work itself out with respect to this disease but about 15 years ago I realised that I had slowly started to find my way to believing something more. I had really changed in my outlook on life. I started thinking in ways that the people in my life didn't understand and I started to feel "left out" of the main stream. Truly, I never really felt a part of the main stream but that is a story for another time but now I was hyper aware of it. I saw things so clearly but people around me didn't see what I saw. So started a very conscious journey into spirituality. And this is what I've learned.

Maybe I could pray or plead with the powers that be to take this disease away from me (and I do believe that we do have that power) or I could accept that perhaps I was given this disease to help me find my spiritual journey. That's what I believe more than anything now and I have learned so much that I would not have otherwise learned! Much of it still inexplicable to the average person but I think this is a gift. I actually feel a lot like I am not in the right time (but I know I am or I wouldn't be here) but perhaps something in my life will help someone else to learn something that they, in their life, will be able to change the world with...or help it along the way. 

So, maybe we don't have to ask to have something we don't want, to be taken from us. Maybe we  just need to accept what has been given to us and learn what the lesson is from that. There is great wisdom to be found in suffering. People of religious faith often seem to feel that "God" would not let something happen and that it must be the devil. They may be angry with "God" because they don't understand how something that bad could happen to them or to the world but I propose this. We wouldn't learn anything in this life if everything went well all the time. the bad stuff has to be there for that reason alone. Maybe the whole design has been misunderstood. How would we find joy if we never had sorrow? How would we understand love if not for hate? How would we see our way to our divine nature if we always had an easy life? I think life is about quality and not quantity. I have lived with my disease for 25 years now. It is a disease that usually has a person on dialysis/transplant within 10 years and I'm still holding my own though it is coming some day and I'll deal with it when it does and I'll know that I lived all these years with gratitude and even wonder instead of wishing "God" would take it away. I continue to learn from it and I always will. If I could say one thing to people it would be to live your life while you're here, even if there might be a time limit because after all, we are all born with a terminal illness because we will all die. Most of us just don't know when.
[-] The following 3 users Like Pauline99's post:
  • Stlouizsin, Aceofcups, anushri
Hi Pauline,

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  And your insights in regards to suffering and the duality of life.

Personally, I do not see the Godhead as a person, judging and meting out positive and negative experiences and traits.
I see the Absolute as Natures Laws in and of existence.  We ( on multiple levels of our Being) have the possibility of learning how the laws exist, how we can co-create with them and how we get results from our use or misuse of the energy of the laws – either through a process of suffering and failures or learning to use them with wisdom, love and compassion.  The first steps is learning and seeing how we create our own character and karmic predicaments -- not always easy because some of it it brought over from past incarnations.   Every physical action, emotion and mental activity creates energy patterns within ourselves and groups we are connected with – which are constantly seeking an energetic balance.  Through multiple lifetimes over eons of time we slowly learn the laws and lessons.  We learn these lessons though living and though relationships of all kinds and with multiple species.  With our fellow travelers and also with different being who act as teachers,
guides and helpers in this continuing evolutionary process.  To me their is no Death persay,,, just Life living through different stages, forms and experiences.

Just my two cents,
peace
Aceofcups
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.  Don’t go back to sleep ...  People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open.   Don’t go back to sleep ... Rumi
[-] The following 3 users Like Aceofcups's post:
  • Pauline99, Skytiger, anushri
" There is great wisdom to be found in suffering".
Here you spoke of the key to the Light. Man's greatest enemy is his own fear  and out of fear are born the demons, evils, etc and then the unaware people start seeking protection. It is all about conquering the fear, and then you shall be the master of your own Life which does not depend on this mere physical body. If we treat our body as sanctum, our Soul as the guide, follow the cosmic law of balance,  we would definitely reach the Truth..the Light!
[-] The following 3 users Like anushri's post:
  • Pauline99, Aceofcups, popsthebuilder
(03-03-2018, 04:00 PM)anushri Wrote: " There is great wisdom to be found in suffering".
Here you spoke of the key to the Light. Man's greatest enemy is his own fear  and out of fear are born the demons, evils, etc and then the unaware people start seeking protection. It is all about conquering the fear, and then you shall be the master of your own Life which does not depend on this mere physical body. If we treat our body as sanctum, our Soul as the guide, follow the cosmic law of balance,  we would definitely reach the Truth..the Light!
"Man's greatest enemy is his own fear  and out of fear are born the demons, evils"

Not all evil is derived from fear friend.

To me personally, pride is more causal of evil, but fear can surely cause the same results too.

Good post friend.

peace

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post:
  • Pauline99
(03-03-2018, 05:18 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 04:00 PM)anushri Wrote: " There is great wisdom to be found in suffering".
"Man's greatest enemy is his own fear  and out of fear are born the demons, evils"

To me personally, pride is more causal of evil, but fear can surely cause the same results too.

Good post friend.

peace

Thanks popsthebuilder.

But, if by pride you mean the Ego or the vanity, then let me tell you my friend that it's the worst form of fear that we practice to overcome in our spiritual practice.
It is the fear of losing one's material identity and achievements in the process of merging into oneness. To ascend to higher states, levels or dimensions, one must overcome it. Out of fear, we do absurd things...and out of Ego we do the same...create unnecessary hatred, difference, chaos and disturb the cosmic law that ultimately leads to destruction. 
Hope this reply reaches in a positive way.

_/\_
[-] The following 2 users Like anushri's post:
  • Pauline99, popsthebuilder
(03-03-2018, 07:15 PM)anushri Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 05:18 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:

Good post friend.

peace

Thanks popsthebuilder.

But, if by pride you mean the Ego or the vanity, then let me tell you my friend that it's the worst form of fear that we practice to overcome in our spiritual practice.
It is the fear of losing one's material identity and achievements in the process of merging into oneness. To ascend to higher states, levels or dimensions, one must overcome it. Out of fear, we do absurd things...and out of Ego we do the same...create unnecessary hatred, difference, chaos and disturb the cosmic law that ultimately leads to destruction. 
Hope this reply reaches in a positive way.

_/\_
So to you pride is actually of fear?

That is an interesting take.

I believe it is enough for me to agree, and too reiterate that though a form of pride of life or "ego" can be caused by fear; it in no way is always caused by such and can actually cause such.

Just look at the pride that instills the fear in ignorance. One doesn't even inquire of the truth due to greed or pride; making a pathway and excuse for ",justified fear in ignorance and negative deed towards whom or what one is ignorant of due to such.

(peace friend)

[-] The following 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post:
  • Pauline99
I would suggest that there are only two emotions that exist and all other feelings start with one of these two. They are fear and love.
[-]
  •
(03-03-2018, 03:58 PM)Aceofcups Wrote: Hi Pauline,

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  And your insights in regards to suffering and the duality of life.

Personally, I do not see the Godhead as a person, judging and meting out positive and negative experiences and traits.
I see the Absolute as Natures Laws in and of existence.  We ( on multiple levels of our Being) have the possibility of learning how the laws exist, how we can co-create with them and how we get results from our use or misuse of the energy of the laws – either through a process of suffering and failures or learning to use them with wisdom, love and compassion.  The first steps is learning and seeing how we create our own character and karmic predicaments -- not always easy because some of it it brought over from past incarnations.   Every physical action, emotion and mental activity creates energy patterns within ourselves and groups we are connected with – which are constantly seeking an energetic balance.  Through multiple lifetimes over eons of time we slowly learn the laws and lessons.  We learn these lessons though living and though relationships of all kinds and with multiple species.  With our fellow travelers and also with different being who act as teachers,
guides and helpers in this continuing evolutionary process.  To me their is no Death persay,,, just Life living through different stages, forms and experiences.

Just my two cents,
peace
Aceofcups

Thanks Ace! I tend to believe those things too but my ever inquiring and seekers mind continues to ask questions and find new paths and peel back the layers of the onion. I doubt my answers will ever be set in stone in my mind...or at least I hope not! LOL!
[-]
  •